Charitable Giving and Donor Support
South County Health was founded on the generous support from the community that enabled it to grow from a cottage hospital to an award-winning healthcare system and a leader in robotic-assisted surgery.
During FY2020, in addition to financial support, South County Health received an outpouring of moral and emotional support as our frontline staff worked around the clock to ensure the health and safety of our patients.
It was a challenging year for fundraising due to the restrictions of COVID-19, but it was also an incredible year witnessing people coming together to support one another. As the COVID-19 pandemic escalated, South County Health realized unanticipated expenses for supplies and equipment needed to keep patients and staff safe.
During FY2020, we received numerous donations from individuals, businesses, foundations, and trusts. Each gift is deeply appreciated and contributes to the exceptional patient care South County Health provides.
Through our COVID-19 relief efforts, we raised more than $650,000 to help with critical purchases needed to help us get through the pandemic, including:
- Personal protective equipment
- Rapid disinfection system for disinfection of patient rooms and procedure areas
- Negative pressure units essential to the control of airborne pathogens
- Technology upgrades for telehealth connecting patients and providers using video devices
- Additional case manager to support the mental health needs of our patients and staff
- COVID-19 vaccine freezer
In addition to the generous monetary donations, hundreds of community members came forward with donations of hot meals, healthy snacks, coffee, cards with thoughtful words, painted rocks for inspiration, and thousands of donated masks to support our healthcare workers.
While we could not fundraise in the traditional manner due to COVID-19, we were fortunate to hold some of our annual events.
2020 Golf Invitational:
Held at Kirkbrae Country Club in Lincoln, RI, raising $91,000 to support South County Health and South County Home Health
The Tribute Campaign:
A virtual event celebrating our honorees, raising $38,400 to support the Cardiac Rehabilitation program.
2020 Tribute Honorees:
- Zach Friedland, cardiac rehabilitation patient
- Ed Hart, pulmonary rehabilitation patient
- Maggie Mann, RRT, Respiratory Therapist and Nationally Certified Asthma Educator at South County Hospital
- Audrey Greenwald Kullberg, passed away peacefully on October 16, 2019; she spent countless hours helping others by volunteering at South County Health
CIRCLE OF CARE
Our Circle of Care Giving Society reached more than 200 donors in 2020.
Our business partner program is now in its third year. We are excited to have 10 members and look forward to continued partnerships with the business community.
The Champlin Foundation
In the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, South County Health received a $100,000 grant from The Champlin Foundation, part of the $600,000 in emergency funds given to Rhode Island’s nonprofit hospitals. The money from this grant helped to fund the purchase of a GenMarkDX system, which provides rapid diagnostic testing for respiratory panels and blood cultures for the presence of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19.
Download a PDF here, to view a full list of this year's donors.